Monday, March 01, 2010

new method practice 2

Ok so here we are, as you can see I went with the gondola, though counting votes here and abroad, the two ideas were nearly tied. I'm thinking the next one will be the Alice piece.

Just a note, at the bottom of this post I'm going to try and answer the couple of comment questions from the first "new method practice" post.

One other note, I had a bad time trying to get pictures of the shiny graphite.



Gathering essential reference.


The board was interesting to draw on, I didn't like it as much at first but it began to feel better. It felt too textured for my liking.





This was probably the only decent picture I could get, at this angle.

So the next step is finish the details, the boat, and the water. I'm going to leave the sky for the paint.

The pencil erased well off the board but not completely clean. It was a little more textured than I like but after a while it began to feel ok.

So, ThinkBaker said... What type of board is it? Watercolor board? Illustration board?
Masonite?

I think it's a shelf, honestly. Annie gave me the board (literally board) primed and ready to draw on.

Josh said... I think the gondola is similar to another piece you did a while back when reveaing your new set of projects, TYE, and the others. Did you reveal all of those by the way?

The gondola idea is one that I've had kicking around for a while and for testing out this new method I wanted something familiar to work with. To answer your question, Project Gondola is on hold due to client work, Project Daylight was all the SDCC 2009 work, though Daylight had some specific pieces of work that didn't make it in time and those are back in the pipeline.

Next post, Wednesday : finished drawing

3 comments:

Michael Dooney said...

Uh even after two posts I'm not quite following what the "new Method" is ;)
Are you saying that you are paining on a gessoed board instead of watercolor paper????

Michael Dooney said...

Uh even after two posts I'm not quite following what the "new Method" is ;)
Are you saying that you are painting on a gessoed board instead of watercolor paper????

nicholas said...

Cory,
I totally understand drawing over too much texture. I don't like it either. Did you use a different pencil or something to offset this?